Tuesday 19 June 2012

Another application bites the dust...


So, I’ve just found out (via one of those marvellous ‘thanks-but-no-thanks’ emails) that I didn’t get past the ITV Verbal Reasoning tests in order to get onto the Creative Production Scheme.

One word. GUTTED.

Yes, I have heard the expression “don’t put all your eggs in one basket” before, but no, I don’t think people carry eggs round in baskets anymore. Neither did I genuinely think that I had this application ‘in the bag’ as it were, but I was desperate to get to the interview stages and had already imagined how wonderful nice a production job right here at ITV would be.   

I’d be making telly. Living the absolute dream.

However, it was not meant to be. And whilst I’ve heard “something better will come along” and “your time will come” umpteen times in the last year, it’s not all that helpful to hear when all you want to do is run into the girls’ loos and sob your poor, soon-to-be-unemployed heart out.

I’m lucky in the fact that I currently have a great intern job with the Media Planning team at ITV. But whilst you’d think once you’re ‘in’ somewhere like ITV, it’d be easier to stay ‘in’, three job applications and one grad scheme application later, I can tell you now, it aint.

The scariest thing is that by the end of August, I will no longer be a part of the ITV family. Then again, perhaps even scarier, is the thought of having to return to my job as a lifeguard in order to fund my not even slightly extravagant lifestyle. The fact that I sauntered out of the lifeguarding job on my last day and vowed never to return (with several witnesses I might add) probably hasn’t helped the situation.

Anyway, I guess there’s nothing left to do except move on and keep trying.

As a wise man/woman (I’m not exactly sure who) once said:

“There’s no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream.”

Although having thought about it, this implies I might be sixty before I find my dream job. Good lord.

This one’s a bit better (also anonymous):

“When the world says, “Give up”, Hope whispers, “Try it one more time”.

No idea who Hope is but I couldn’t agree with her more!

So chins up guys if you’ve ever been in the same situation. I’m not going to tell you I know it’ll get better, so instead I’ll say,

Good bloody luck!

And in the words of Joey from Friends;

If you want something enough and your heart is purewondrous things can happen!” 

(Although bear in mind, he was talking about a chair that healed itself, but I still think the principle applies).

Much love and luck Telly lovers!

p.s. I’d be really interested to hear from anyone else who’s had similar experiences. How many jobs have people applied for before landing a goodun’? How many interviews/applications/tests have you completed? I’d love a few comments on this subject! Ta x

1 comment:

  1. “something better will come along” and “your time will come”
    I've been hearing these since leaving University! The more you hear it the more it grates and you just want to change the subject.

    I've applied for hundreds upon hundreds of jobs. I've had about 5 interviews from these. "Just keep trying and something will come."

    ReplyDelete