Thursday 31 January 2013

Genius Media Planner in the making…


Today, in a break from the norm, I travelled North of the river to the busy streets of the west end (it’s rather quieter on London’s Southbank where I usually spend my days, on the 13th floor of quite possibly the ugliest building on the river).

Today was my very first official Media Planning course.

“What on earth has the girl been doing working in Media Planning for the past year and a half if not trained in Media Planning?” I hear you thinking. Well the bits and bobs I’m in responsible for (the scheduling of the promos and the planning of the continuity strategy) needs only an understanding of the company, target audience and a little marketing.  I’d like to say ‘anyone could do it’, but then I turn on the telly and see those idiots on Jeremy Kyle…

The stuff (and let me be clear, this was serious stuff) that I learnt today was all about forward planning, how to get the best out of your promotional airtime, and I’ll be honest, there was a heck of a lot more maths involved than I first thought.

For example, did you know that, in terms of the frequency of a given promotion,

Efficiency = cover / ratings

… or that

Index = Target Audience TVRs / Base audience ?

No? Me Neither. Not that you’d have any reason to know any of the above, but I think it just goes to prove (to others, as well as myself after today’s course) just how complicated and well thought out Media Planning actually is, and I really enjoyed cramming my brain full of mathsy facts to take back to the office. Did I mention there was also a magnificent cooked lunch which went down very well (both in the group and into my stomach!)

I left at 6pm today with a full brain and an even fuller belly and I’m looking forward to seeing whether I’ll remember all of today’s events when I wake up in the morning. ‘Brain like a sieve’ someone once said to me, whatever that means. Mind you, my memories not too great so I can’t tell you who said it… ;)

Over and out telly lovers 
x

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. 
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” 

Dr. Seuss 

No comments:

Post a Comment